Did you know that snoring affects about 20-40% of the adult population? If you, or your partner snore, chances are, neither of you are getting a good night’s sleep. The good news is that dentists can offer effective treatments to help with snoring.
Before we discuss the treatments, it is important to understand what causes snoring in the first place.This includes:
- Excessive weight
- Poor lifestyle choices including smoking and alcohol consumption
- Some types of medications
- Excess fatty tissue around the neck region
- Supine body position
- Nasal congestion due to cold
- Large tonsils
No matter the cause of snoring, dentist have a wide range of oral devises that can help treat the problem, allowing both you (and your partner) to enjoy a healthy sleep. Before recommending any appliance, our dentist will carry out an examination to identify the root cause of the problem. Sometimes, a consultation with an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor (ENT) and a sleep study will be required.
The oral appliance prescribed will depend on your unique snoring situation. At Soothing Care Dental, we offer tailor-made solutions to ensure that your snoring problem is completely dealt with. Some of the most common snoring appliances include:
- CPAP Machine: uses a hose connected to a mask or nosepiece to deliver constant and steady air pressure to help you breathe while you sleep.
- Mandibular Advancement Device: works by temporarily moving the jaw and tongue forward, which reduces throat tightening and prevents sleep apnoea and snoring. Moving the tongue forward increases airway space.
Another effective dental treatment used to reduce snorting is Oral Appliance Therapy (OAT). OAT uses an oral appliance custom made specifically for the patient – similar to an athletic mouth guard, or retainer. When worn during sleep, it supports your jaw so that the airway remains open and unobstructed.
Your dentist will custom fit the appliance by making impression or using a series of digital measurements to create a model of your mouth. This model is then sent to a dental lab where the appliance is created. Finally, your dentist will then fit and adjust the OAT for comfort and will show you how to use it to ensure that it functions properly.
What are the advantages of OAT?
Many snorers prefer using an OAT because they are:
- Easy to care for,
- Easy to pack and use when travelling,
- Comfortable, and,
- Quiet and unobtrusive.
At Soothing Care Dental, the dentist Five Dock locals trust, we have highly qualified dentists to evaluate your condition and recommend the best oral appliances. Give the gift of a good night’s sleep to you and your sleeping partner. If snoring affects you, or a loved one, give us a call today, and book a consultation today.